ERCP – The Best Way to Diagnose Trouble in your Intestine to Treat It Quickly
ERCP stands for Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio Pancreatography. It is a medical procedure through which doctors diagnose any kind of trouble in gallbladder, liver, pancreas and bile duct. To understand it in a better way –
- Liver helps in digestion with the assistance of bile.
- Gall bladder stores bile and secretes whenever it is required to digest food.
- Pancreas produce hormones like insulin that is used for digestion.
- Bile ducts’ function is to transport bile to gall bladder and small intestine through liver.
ERCP helps in identifying problems like leaks, stones, cancer and scars that create trouble in digestion.
ERCP is a technique through which an endoscope, which is thin pipe with a torch on its top is inserted in your mouth. This pipe goes into your stomach through food pipe to examine any trouble. It is little painful, but Memorial Hermann North Houston endoscopy and surgery center makes it painless and convenient for patients.
It is located majorly in Houston, Texas and has around 5000 physicians and 26000 employees who are skilled and knowledgeable. It is a nonprofit institute with other 15 branches all over Texas. They have latest tool and equipments and advanced technology to treat problems efficiently.
There are few things that you need to know about ERCP –
- The patient should be on empty stomach 12 hours before the examination. If you have any doubt, consult your physician to be sure.
- Since this procedure is followed with anesthesia or slight sedation, it is advised that the patient has company while driving home and take rest for the entire day.
- There might be feeling of slight nausea and gas, but they go away after taking rest and the patient can start usual activities the next day.
ERCP test is done due to these reasons –
- Blockage of bile duct due to Gall stones, cancer or scar.
- Consistent pain in upper abdomen.
- Weight and appetite loss.
- Test related to pancreas before undergoing any operation.
This procedure is very safe and there is hardly any trouble post this technique. However, in case your doctor is inefficient then you might face problems like infection, or bleeding due to scars. Since dye is used to x-ray complete pancreas, there might be a chance that you are allergic to that dye, but your doctor always gives you antibiotics to treat any kind of scars and troubles.
It is a safe technique and trusted procedure to diagnose any problem this helps you live your life positively further.